Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Overexposed Windows

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Levi's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 25th, 2001
    Posts
    183
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    So, I'm shooting a scene this weekend that takes place in an entirely empty room. There is one window. What can I do to make it so the window isn't overexposed? I was thinking I could put something inbetween the blind and the glass, but what?

    I'm sorry again to Alex and the other members.

    Corey

  2. #2
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Lightbulb

    First, it's important to know if the glass window will be a background element or a foreground element, or both. You have some control over how you show the window by the way you frame the shot.

    Is the window like a patio door situation, or does it start 3-4 feet off the ground?.

    The window may prove to be an interesting source of light, however it will change throughout the day, and it won't match color temperature with your tungsten lights.

    You can use neutral density gels to lower the overall light output of the window, or you can use foam core to completely block the window off.

    I had a video in a room last year and I had to deal with exactly what you are talking about. We ended up framing the window out as much as possible, but it was difficult to make the room look as big as we wanted because of the window. We did however benefit from the ambient fill that came in through the window. I used two, tiny HMI lights to light the speaker and audience, so the sunlight through the window matched the color temperature of the HMI lights.

    If you can ever score some HMI lights, you'll be able to mix it with your sunlight source with no ill effects.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Levi's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 25th, 2001
    Posts
    183
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The window starts 3 feet off the ground. There will be one wide shot that'll show the window, and another that will pan around the room. That's all it'll be shown. It will be the only source of light in the room, but when it's not shown, I am going to put an 80" movie screen up along the wall and reflect a couple 650 watt Sylvania movie lights off of it. Does that make sense? I just need something to block some of the light from the window so that it isn't overexposed when I show the actual window. I don't know where to get neutral density gels, and I don't think I can get them by the weekend. I was thinking maybe something like thin posterboard.

    Corey

  4. #4
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think you are going to run into a lighting contrast issue. As you lower the intensity of the light coming through the window, the room itself will get dimmer in an equal porportion.

    You should use your white screen to bounce fill light back towards the window. (I'm assuming you will be facing the window for your wide shot) I think your idea for using the reflector screen as a bounce light souce should work.

    Make sure your lights evenly fill the screen from one side to the other. If you see a focused spot of light in the center of the screen, then your lights are too close to the screen to give you even illumination.

    You might find that your lights have to move farther back than you wanted, and in the process they take up more of the overall room space than you want.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Levi's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 25th, 2001
    Posts
    183
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Okay, I understand about the contrast thing, but when I mix in the other light, won't the color temperature be off?

    Corey

  6. #6
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes. But I meant to use the window source to bounce back into the room, so it's the same light source that creates the bounce fill for you. (assuming you are at the front of the room shooting at the back of the room where the window is.)

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Levi's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 25th, 2001
    Posts
    183
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Oh, okay. So should I even try to tone down the light coming from the window? I guess I'll just have to experiment. See, I'm shooting in a duplex that someone just moved out of, It's still being cleaned. I'm going to go check it out later today.

  8. #8
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Toning down the light through the window probably won't work because it is the primary light source for the room, as you tone it down, the overall light level in the room will drop.

    What may be very important is to eliminate the inevitable lens flair that will appear when you shoot facing the window.

    I hope you have white foam core (minimum 4 ft by 4 ft) so that you can bounce fill light from your key window source.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Levi's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 25th, 2001
    Posts
    183
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    We'll see what happens, I'm shooting the scene tomorrow. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Levi's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 25th, 2001
    Posts
    183
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well, I just finished shooting, everything turned out great. We're going back later in the week to finish up. Thanks Alex for the advice. [img]wink.gif[/img]

    Corey

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •